1. Act With Bigger Faith. Whatever that means for you, let your convictions steer your actions, and more importantly your thoughts and dispositions. When you stop underestimating God, you relax by default.
2. Desire Is Not Interchangeable With Value. And passion is not necessarily love. A man can desire you without respecting you. Learn to distinguish the two, take nothing less than both.
3. People Will Adopt Your Own Beliefs About Yourself. Aim high.
4. Put Yourself Out There. It is usually terrifying, often humiliating, but always liberating. You’ve got a lot to give, go find people to give it to. Go to the bar on a Tuesday, give in to friends playing matchmaker, get on that plane, make every zone your comfort zone.
5. Wear Your Passport Thin. Travel at any given opportunity, eat the food, learn the culture. The education is invaluable.
7. Know Your Personal Mission Statement. Decide what your life’s mission statement is, and pursue that mission with every interaction.
8. Know When To End Things And How To End Things. You know in your gut when a relationship or job has run its course. Don’t let comfort, security or ego keep you where you no longer belong. Have the courage to do it and learn how to leave with grace and integrity. Close the door, don’t slam it.
9. Power In Numbers. Find people to hold you accountable to your personal, spiritual, physical and professional goals. Say it aloud to each other, and make it a priority to check in regularly. You cannot do it alone.
10. Be Unapologetic About Your Values. Everyone has their own, remain steadfast in yours.
11. Hurt People, Hurt People. It’s a truth as old as time. Restore the cord, don’t cut it. Cutting out negative people from your life solves only your problem. Love hard. Then, love harder.
12. Older Does Not Mean Wiser. Understand your environment, recognize your influencers, be selective with the counsel you heed.
13. You Are Somebody’s Role Model. Try not to disappoint them.
14. Live Within Your Means. Budget your social life, invest in a financial advisor, and stay below the line. When in doubt, don’t buy it.
15. Be The Exception. History does not define you and statistics are merely suggestive. Prove them wrong, be the 1 in 25 who gets there, and root on the people who get there before you.
16. Stop Playing Martyr to Circumstance. You fall victim to that which you allow the power to victimize you. Stand behind your actions and accept what follows. Take the responsibility.
17. Be Acutely Self-Aware. Be able to recognize when your own behavior and thoughts take a downturn, and do what you need to do to correct it.
18. An Open Mind Is A Gold Mine. Listen with the intent to relate. Education has no lifespan.
19. Overuse “Thank You.” Appreciation truly can revive the spirit. Extend your gratefulness.
20. God’s Got You. Your life will go off-plan, but He will not lead you somewhere to then not sustain you. Know that protection often comes disguised as rejection and it’s okay for things to take a little longer than you had expected.
By Janice Lee, the Thought Catalogue.