I'm content with being single, maybe a bit too content... and maybe you are too. But we're just going to have to be honest and admit that there are those moments that being single completely sucks!
These are my 8 "Being Single Sucks" moments.
1) The first time I wrote a post titled 'Being Single Sucks' was in December last year. So yes, I hate being single during the festive season, especially Christmas. Everyone is coupled up everywhere you go, it's like a freaking month-long Valentine's day and each time you actually want to go out, you're reminded that the world outside is suddenly Noah's Ark; everybody is in twos. Then you shrivel up and curl back underneath your duvet.
2) Valentine's day... For very obvious reasons. Besides the Noah's Ark situation, you just want to be like one of those people at the office who get surprised by HUGE beautifully decorated baskets of goodies, with a HUGE bouquet of red roses and a HUGE Cactus chocolate cake from that special somebody.
3) Weddings and other social gatherings... At some point going with the girls gets old. And then what happens when the girls all get hitched or hooked up? That's the worst thing ever; you begin to go alone *CRINGE*. What more could announce to the world that you're as single as the Statue of Liberty than going to every wedding, party, event alone? Completely sucks!
4) Long weekends... Those long weekends with nothing to do but curl up in front of the TV and watch back to back episodes of your favourite TV shows, sometimes doing this alone is blissful, other times however, you just feel like snuggling up to a warm body and having someone laugh at Sheldon Cooper with you, or roll their eyes with you at the "invincible" Olivia Pope.
5) Rant'a'thons... Ok, I just made this up, now how do I define it? You know those days when everything turns to shite, one after the other? Those days it's like Murphy's Law is plastered across your forehead and everything that can possibly go wrong actually does... On those days you just want someone to quietly listen to you rant and rant and rant and then when you've exhausted yourself, they chuckle softly and tell you you'll be ok and remind you that they love you, and then suddenly all the shitty events of the day suddenly turn to flowers and butterflies.
6) 15th year School reunion... Seriously, if you're single you might want to reconsider going. Seriously. No matter how strong or content in your singleness you are, when you see your former classmates and playmates ALL with their spouses and not just spouses but their little kids running around, you're definitely going to wish you had someone, and you're definitely going to wish you had just stayed home.
7) Family reunions... Especially if you're of a certain age. Going to those things alone are just no fun. When your relatives aren't looking at you with pitiful puppy-dog-eyes, they're asking you that really annoying, extremely mundane question; why are you still single? While you try to keep it light and chuckle some flat joke that you've told a thousand times, you try not to blurt out "Am I supposed to marry myself?" with such vehemence and anger that will only lead to more pity and a uniform somber shaking of heads.
What's even worse is when your younger cousins whom you babysat as kids show up with their SOs and baby bumps..
8) Church... Some churches just make you want to grab the next person you see and run to the alter. When the pastor isn't telling you how awesome his/her spouse is and how they're so immensely blessed to have found them, the couples in the church are holding hands, leaning against each other and sharing private jokes. Some even touch innappropraitely or exchange kisses and you can just see that smug smile; yeah we're married so it's allowed. *tongue out*. And even though you know they're not even aware of your existence somehow it all feels like a personal affront and then every subsequent prayer point becomes "Every witchcraft coven holding my husband... VOMIT HIM NOW BY FIRE! FIRE!! Fayayayayayaya!!!"
So while I'm often oh so content, at these moments I wonder why my significant other is taking forever to exist...