I couldn't help but notice how nobody is claiming 2018 is my year! 2017 apparently humbled a lot of us. I remember telling someone how 2017 came specifically to punish me for having 3 good years. It was like all the shitty things that didn't happen to me in 2014/15/16 decided to coman happen in 2017. Towards the end of 2016 I started to have some bouts of depression and panic attacks because i was very fearful of some things that might happen in 2017. Guess what, all those things I feared, and then some more, all happened!
I also put up the least posts in my history of blogging, my posts have always been personal, that's my niche, however the struggles I faced in 2017 were way too deep and too personal that i couldn't share them with even my closest friends, much less blog readers. The only bit of this struggle I allowed myself to share was breaking up with my ex. Yet that was probably the mildest blow 2017 dealt me.
However, it would be crazy for me to have lived through all that and learn nothing. These are a few take-homes from the last year.
1. You snooze, God sleeps. This is another way of saying faith without works is dead. I learnt that no matter how intense your intentions, how powerful your faith is, or how deep your hunger, if all you're doing is having faith then God is just going to sleep on you. I learnt that you're going have to put your hands to work before you put your faith to work. All the prayer and fasting in the world wouldn't move a molehill much less a mountain, if your "work" is non-existent.
2. Being "good" is a damn waste of time. Be bold, be courageous, be aggressive, be a fighter, be selfish, be anything that will get you closer to your goals. Being good will not get you there so stop wondering why "good things happen to bad people" and start doing what it takes to get what you want, even if you're going to have to step on a few toes. You can apologise to them later, if you must... However your integrity is one thing you must never compromise on if you intend to go far.
3. Be Deliberate. This is most important lesson in productivity that i learnt. Be intentional, be deliberate. Being complacent in life is the fastest train to MFM prayer ground praying against every yoke of stagnation in your life. Your passivity is more likely to keep you stagnant than all the household wickedness in your father's house.
4. In business, if a client approaches you, engages you, shares their vision with you and paints a very enticing promising working relationship, if they are yet to pay you even 10% of your money, then they are still looking for someone else! Before you commit yourself to them, make them first commit to you. And please, always draw up an agreement, no matter how flowery your relationship with them looks.
5. I cut off a close friend. I'm not one of the biggest fans of cutting people off but sometimes some friendships become burdensome. Any friendship that becomes a weight which slows you down and no longer serves the purpose friendship ought to, should be severed. Declutter your life and and make room for more wholesome relationships.
2018 has got me all kinds of excited. But I'm only excited because i realize that i have NO expectations, just goals and plans and a blank canvass. I love that!
Please share with me your experiences and lessons from 2017. I miss having an interactive relationship with my readers and I'm hoping our blog-relationship can be strengthened once again this year.
Ps. Pardon my if there are typos, I'm blogging from my phone from now as my other devices are bad and it's pretty tedious.